Multiple Object Processing in the Lifespan
Simultaneous processing of multiple relevant objects is a fundamental activity for a coherent perception of the world, as well as for an efficient interaction with it. In this project, we investigate what the core components (e.g., attentive individuation, active maintenance of the elements) for an efficient multiple object processing.
Moreover, we evaluate whether and how multiple object processing and its subcomponents are modified by healthy and pathological aging. So far, we have focused on EEG and behavioral measures during enumeration tasks.
- Tagliabue, C.F., Lombardi, L., & Mazza, V. (2020). Individuation of object parts in aging. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 82, 2703–2713.
- Brignani, D., Bagattini, C, & Mazza, V. (2018). Pseudoneglect is maintained in aging but not in mild Alzheimer's disease: new insights from an enumeration task. Neuropsychologia. Doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2018.02.008.
- Bagattini, C., Mazza, V., Panizza, L., Ferrari, C., Bonomini, C., & Brignani, D. (2017). Neural Dynamics of Multiple Object Processing in Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer's Disease: Future Early Diagnostic Biomarkers? Journal of Alzheimer’s disease. 59, 643-654. doi: 10.3233/JAD-161274.
- Mazza, V. (2017). Simultanagnosia and object individuation. Cognitive Neuropsychology. DOI: 10.1080/02643294.2017.1331212
- Pagano, S., Fait, E., Brignani, D., & Mazza, V. (2016). Object individuation and compensation in healthy aging. Neurobiology of Aging, 40, 145-54.
- Mazza, V., & Brignani, D. (2016). Electrophysiological advances on multiple object processing in aging. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 8, 46, doi:10.3389/fnagi.2016.00046.
- Mazza, V., & Caramazza, A. (2015). Multiple object individuation and subitizing in enumeration: a view from electrophysiology. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 9, 162.
- Pagano, S., Fait, E., Monti, A., Brignani, D., & Mazza, V. (2015). Electrophysiological correlates of subitizing in healthy aging. PLoS ONE, 10, e0131063.
- Pagano, S., & Mazza, V. (2012). Individuation of multiple targets during visual enumeration: new insights from electrophysiology. Neuropsychologia, 50, 754– 761.
- Mazza, V., & Caramazza, A. (2011). Temporal brain dynamics of multiple object processing: the flexibility of individuation. PLoS ONE, 6, e17453.
- Giovani Ricercatori, Italian Ministry of Health, 2012-2016 (P.I. Veronica Mazza). “Brain and cognitive dynamics of multiple-object processing in normal aging, MCI and Alzheimer disease”.
- ITPAR (India-Trento Program for Advanced Research). 2018-present (co-P.I. for the UniTN Neuroscience area: Veronica Mazza).