Val Poré, crossed by Rio Pontel, is connected to Val di Rabbi through the Valletta Pass (2694 m). The archaeological excavations of the ALPES project mainly focussed on this valley.
Val Poré - MZ005S
MZ005S is a complex structure, located at 2257 m in Val Poré, in the area locally known as “Camp” (stretching between 2200 and 2300 m of elevation). It seats within a depression at the hydrographic right of Rio Pontel, upstream to the slope break that bounds the head of the valley downstream .
The site is composed of various enclosures and one “bait”. The stratigraphic analysis of the enclosures’ walls has enabled the identification of the oldest structural element: a small and very degraded enclosure. The archaeological excavations, carried out between 2011 and 2014, focused on this structural element. Excavations uncovered a homogeneous stratification, characterised by a buried A horizon (an ancient, formerly-exposed topsoil) below the current A horizon, both very rich in archaeological material.
Most of the finds can be attributed to a chronological range spanning between the end of the Middle Ages and the beginning of modern age. Radiocarbon measures, clustering between the 15th and the 16th century, matches the chronology of material culture. Several potsherds (particularly of graffita and glazed types) have been unearthed, along with metal objects (including a key, a buckle and a coin of the Republic of Venice), flint fire-starters and a glass bead.
Some of the ceramic sherds discovered have been attributed to the so called “Luco culture”, and dated to the Final Bronze Age (12th-8th century BC). These finds provided evidence of an older occupation of the site, which needs to be further investigated.
Val Poré - MZ051S
The site MZ051S is located in the Camp di Ortisé, in Val Poré, at 2240 m of elevation. Recorded during the first phase of the survey, it has been investigated in 2015 through test-pitting, which have revealed a prehistoric deposit. MZ051S is an enclosure sitting on a terrace of the western side of the valley.
Within this enclosure, two archaeological units have been uncovered: the higher (unit 4a) contains rare archaeological finds, and has been radiocarbon dated between 1535 and 1430 BC; the lower (unit 5a) has yielded lithic artefacts (flint and cobbles) and some potsherds, dated to the 1880-1700 BC.
The structural and chronological relationships between the stratification and the walls of the enclosure is still to be verified, and the archaeological assemblage is still under analysis; nevertheless, this site provides clear evidence of human occupation in this sector of Val di Sole during the Early and Middle Bronze Ages.